Yesterday, Mr Ranjan Gogoi was appointed as the next Chief Justice of India. He will be the 46th CJI and will assume office from 3rd October and hold the tenure November 2019.
He is the first person from Northeast India to claim the top position.
He was appointed after the recommendation of the 45th CJI Mr Dipak Misra who recently delivered a verdict on Section 377.
Mr Gogoi will take the oath in the presence of the President of India, Ram Nath Kovind on 3rd October.
In this article, we have collected all the necessary facts and information related to the life of the new CJI. Have a look-
Next CJI, Ranjan Gogoi | Everything you need to know
1. He completed his primary education from Don Bosco School Dibrugarh, Assam.
2. After that, he did History from St. Stephen’s College, Delhi University.
3. He also cleared UPSC exam but chose to pursue law, in which he was interested.
4. He was not sent to The Sainik School, Golpara, after he lost the toss to his elder brother as only one of them, could go to The Army School.
5. He is the son of former Chief Minister of Assam, Keshab Chandra Gogoi.
6. In 1978, he was enrolled in the bar and started practising in the Guwahati High Court.
7. He was made a permanent judge of Guwahati High Court in February 2001.
8. Mr Gogoi was then transferred to The Punjab And Haryana High Court in September 2010 and in February 2011 he was made the Chief Justice of Punjab and Haryana High Court.
9. Mr Gogoi was made the judge of the Supreme Court on April 23rd, 2102.
10. His colleagues call him a no-nonsense judge who is straightforward in his decisions.
1. Rajiv Gandhi’s assassination case convicts for life sentences.
2. Anti-corruption ombudsman Lokpal.
3. Assam’s National Register of Citizens (NRC).
4. Introduction of special courts to try MPs and MLAs.
5. Reassessment of income of Bollywood actor Mr Amitabh Bachchan in 2002-03.