If I ask you about the things you should never do in other countries I am sure you won’t know about everything. There are different customs and culture in different countries. Things which are okay in your country might be offensive in other. In this post, we are talking about cultural norms in other countries.
I don’t think that there will ever be a person who doesn’t want to travel and explore new places. Yes, the company he prefers may vary. Some of us like traveling in groups, some of us like traveling solo and some just love to spend time with family but we all want to explore new places and experience new things.
Traveling feeds your soul as nothing else does. As soon as you book a ticket to some other country you open the internet and look for ‘must-visit places‘ and ‘to-do list’ for that country. But, many of us forget to look for things that we must not do while we are there. C’mon let’s face it not all countries have the same culture and things which are fine in your country might be considered rude and offensive in others.
Like in India, elders keeping a hand over your head is considered good and signifies positive energy being given to you. In Malaysia, the head is considered to be the most sacred part of your body and touching it may not be well received.
Here we have made a list of countries and the things you must NOT do while you are here. Have a look-
Things you Should Never do in Other Countries
1 – Malaysia
- Never touch somebody’s head not even a child. It is considered the most sacred part of the body in Malaysia
2 – Mexico
- If you are easily offended you will have a hard time in Mexico.
Recommended – 22 Bollywood Movies for the Traveller in you
3 – Australia
- Don’t tip when in restaurant
- There are a different kind of beers, so make sure to learn about that first
4 – Dubai
- Don’t carry alcohol in public
- Keep your phone on silent during prayer times
- Follow the traffic rules otherwise, you will be fined
5 – North Korea
- Never speak to any local apart from your guide
- Don’t go on to explore the city on your own
- Don’t speak ill about Kim family
6 – China
- Never finish everything on your plate, it is considered offensive towards chef
- Never throw tantrum in public, it is considered Embarrassing
7 – France
- Never joke about French Army
- There are million of tourists there at any given time, so if somebody is rude or doesn’t help, don’t mind
8 – Germany
- Never use the Nazi salute, it is a punishable offense, you could end up in prison.
9 – England
- Never jump queue
- Never invite someone if you are not close with them
- Don’t ask anyone about how much they earn
10 – Turkey
- OK gesture is considered offensive. It means calling someone homosexual
- Never refuse a gift
- Don’t get drunk in public, it is considered shameful
11 – New Zealand
- Naver make fun of The Lord of the Rings, Queen of England and Rugby
- Don’t get confused between Aussies & Kiwis
12 – Japan
- Never tip anyone
- Always remove your shoes before entering someone’s home
- Don’t talk on your phone in public transport, it is considered RUDE
13 – Singapore
- Singapore is known for its cleanliness so don’t litter, you could also be fined.
- Don’t drink in public
- Don’t eat on public transport
14 – Chile
- Always use fork and knife when eating. Using your finger is seen as uncivilized in Chile
15 – Norway
- Never Bargain
- People aren’t very formal so don’t think they are rude
- If driving, do no honk.
16 – Russia
- Giving flowers in even number is not a good idea. They are for funerals and sad occasion. You give the odd number of flowers when there is a happy occasion.
So these are some of the things you should never do in other countries. If you have visited some other country or know about any other country then do enlighten us with your knowledge in the comment section below.